hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barale <dbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Time consistency for DDL Available?
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2018 21:21:48 GMT
Hello all,

Type 2 slowly changing dimensions allow the creation of time consistent
data views. When used properly, you can view the data “as it was” at a
point in time. So if a query myself today, using a 3 years ago time
criteria, I’d be able to see my address then, not where I live now, in case
I moved during that period.

My question is, can we do the same with DDL metadata? I mean, is there a
system that allows having a table structure at a point in time, and having
the same table with a different structure at another point in time? Like
for instance, a table T had 3 integer columns in 1/1/2013 and in 12/12/2015
have the same 3 integer columns but also a date column added?

Do u get my drift? Does Pivotal have a “tool” or feature to provide that?

Ward regards

Daniel Barale,

Social Security Administration (USA)

Daniel.e.barale@ssa.gov