hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Oushu and Trademark use
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2018 03:42:17 GMT
> That is an interesting question actually. This seems to be a customer quote.
> Which means that even if the customer was confused its not like you can
> change it without doing a round-trip with said customer.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure to what extent Apache rules about trademarks reflect actual
laws, but I think generally that there are some prohibited advertising statements that companies
cannot make by quoting a customer who said that forbidden phrase.

So, if I sell iceberg lettuce, which does not cure the common cold, I don't think I can say
that directly in my ads or quote someone who said that in my ads.

> What's the issue with this? I guess a more specific statement would be:
>    "Oushu' is a database and AI company founded by the team who
> founded Apache HAWQ."
> (sans annoying founded...founded). Is this the kind of clarification you're
> looking for?

I am subscribed to board@, but I can't access the archives. A similar situation came up about
a TLP and a company associated with it. If you were subscribed, search you mail for the phrase
"So perhaps it not just marketing that need some education" on or around March 13, 2018.

Maybe trademarks@ would better be able to say.