hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <alanfga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache HAWQ Graduation from Incubator
Date Thu, 03 May 2018 18:18:52 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:14 AM, Radar Lei <rlei@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> Thanks for your recognition and suggestion.
>
> Would you please give some guidance on:
>
> 1. Currently we have more than 50 committers on the list, should we send
> email to each committer individually to get their confirmation? Or we can
> just send one public email to ask in private/dev list?

​Start with an email to the dev list.  80% of the people who are going to
respond will respond there.  After a few days send individual emails to
those who don't respond on the dev list.
​

> 2. What if someone want to keep to be a committer but not be a PMC member?

​That's fine, if it's what they want.  But you'll need to note that clearly
when we write up the graduation resolution as there may be questions on why
different people are being granted different status.​

> 3. What if we can not get respond from some committers in time? E.g. one
> week.

​I would include in the email a time limit, probably closer to two weeks
than one so that anyone who is on vacation has a better chance of seeing
it.  That two weeks can be from the time you send the original email on the
dev list.  Anyone who does not respond in the given time frame will be
assumed to not want to continue with HAWQ.

As another note, it is traditional to ask the mentors if they wish to stay
on as PMC members.  For new projects I think it is very valuable to have at
least one experienced Apache person on the PMC, even if he or she is not
contributing code.

Alan.​

<