hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Shubham Sharma <ssha...@pivotal.io>
Subject Travis CI build failing for master repo - HAWQ-1572
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2017 00:47:18 GMT
Hi,

The travis CI build is failing for master and new commits. The CI is
erroring out with

configure: error: thrift is required
The command “./configure” failed and exited with 1 during .

I was able to reproduce this issue and looking at the config.log it looks
like it is failing at the line below while running a conftest.cpp -

/usr/local/include/thrift/stdcxx.h:32:10: fatal error:
'boost/tr1/functional.hpp' file not found

The root cause of the problem is compatibility of thrift 0.11 with boost
1.65.1 . Travis recently upgraded there xcode to 9.2 and list of default
packages now contains boost 1.65.1 and thrift 0.11.

Thrift uses stdcxx.h
<https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/041c3c777db9639b0a9195bc6aa1f935501fd506/lib/cpp/src/thrift/stdcxx.h#L32>
which
includes boost/tr1/functional.hpp library. The support for tr1 has been
removed in boost 1.65, see here
<http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_65_0.html> under topic
“Removed Libraries”.
Since tr1 library is no longer present in boost 1.65, this causes thrift to
fail and eventually ./configure fails

*Solution*
As a solution I recommend that we uninstall boost 1.65 and install boost
1.60(the last compatible build with thrift). Tested on my fork of hawq repo
with this solution and the build passes.

I am not sure if this is a problem with thrift that they are not yet
compatible with boost 1.65 yet or a problem with travis ci that they have
included two incompatible versions. Will love to hear community's thoughts
on it.

--
Regards,
Shubham