hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Shubham Sharma <ssha...@pivotal.io>
Subject Travis CI failing for Hawq
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:04:09 GMT
Hello folks,

It looks like our Travis build is broken. I first noticed this for my own
fork's build and saw the same behavior in apache github repo as well. It is
failing with the error below

configure: error: Please install apr from http://apr.apache.org/ and
add dir of 'apr-1-config' to env variable
'/Users/travis/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.2/bin:/Users/travis/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.2@global/bin:/Users/travis/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.2/bin:/Users/travis/.rvm/bin:/Users/travis/bin:/Users/travis/.local/bin:/Users/travis/.nvm/versions/node/v6.11.4/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin'.

The command "./configure" failed and exited with 1 during .

Your build has been stopped.

/Users/travis/.travis/job_stages: line 166: shell_session_update:
command not found

Looked into it, the builds started failing November 28th. This is around
the same time when Travis CI upgraded their default xcode version to 8.3. Here
is the notification
<https://blog.travis-ci.com/2017-11-21-xcode8-3-default-image-announce> .

Have identified a potential fix and tested it for my fork, the build
completes successfully. Currently we don't install apr using brew install,
which is one of the pre-requisites as mentioned in the hawq incubator wiki.
The fix is to "brew install apr" and then force link it to the path using
"brew link apr --force. This resolves the problem.

But I have couple of additional questions -

1. How did the apr get installed before, was it installed with some other
package. Asking this as few packages have been removed from the default
image in xcode 8.3

2. Though the build for branches is failing continuously, why the build
status for master is still green ?

Anyhow, since apr is a dependency for our project my proposal is to add a
brew install to travis.yml to avoid failure due to such upgrade in future.

Let me know your thoughts, I can create a JIRA and already have a PR ready.

--
Regards,
Shubham