hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Espino <esp...@apache.org>
Subject GNU SASL Library - Libgsasl dependency for libhdfs3?
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2017 05:34:26 GMT
HAWQ Dev,

I have been filling out the project's Apache Project Maturity Model at the
following location:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Apache+Project+Maturity+Model

In trying to gather information for the Licenses and Copyright section
(specifically: LC20 and LC30), I started to review dependent third party
components. I reviewed the project's LICENSE file (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/blob/master/LICENSE). In addition,
I reviewed the build and install steps from the wiki. I noticed one
component (libgsasl 1.8.0) which is listed but isn't listed in the LICENSE
file. This component is a build dependency of the libhdfs3 component (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/blob/master/depends/libhdfs3/README.md).
The component libhdfs3 will not build without the development
libgsasl (header and libs) available. The component libgsasl is the GNU
SASL Library (https://www.gnu.org/software/gsasl/).

Here is it's licensing information:

The core GNU SASL library, and most mechanisms, are licensed under the GNU
Lesser General Public version 2.1 (or later). It is distributed separately,
as the "libgsasl" package. The GNU SASL command line application, self test
suite and more are licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3
(or later). The "gsasl" package distribution includes the library part as
well, so you do not need to install two packages.

To the best of my knowledge, this dependent component libgsasl is not
compatible with Apache Software projects. Have there been any discussions
in the past on its use in HAWQ? I couldn't find any in the mail archives. I
could be entirely wrong and this could be a false alarm. If anyone can
provide some information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-=e

--
*Ed Espino*