hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Layout of LICENSE, NOTICE, and DISCLAIMER files for Apache HAWQ 2.2.0.0-incubating rpm binary release
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 02:38:18 GMT
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Ruilong Huo <rhuo@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> Please let us know if you have a chance to review the java components for
> pxf and ranger and share with your feedback. Thanks.

Yes I have. Here's what I found out:
   1. For PXF all you have to do at this point is to make sure that each JAR/WAR
       files that gets shipped has LICENSE, NOTICE and DISCLAIMER embedded
       in its META-INF/ folder in the JAR itself. Given that PXF doesn't seem
       to bundle any extra bits -- that should get you clear for JARs

   2. For Ranger plugin it gets more complicated. I will start by
making sure that all
       the JAR/WAR files that are produced by HAWQ itself get the same treatment
       as PXF does in #1. That still won't get you off the hook though
for RPMs, because
       it seems that RPMs re-ship a LOT of dependencies. For those
dependencies I'd
       recommend having a build script that extracts LICENSE, NOTICE
and DISCLAIMER
       (if any) from all the bundled JARs/WARs (things under
plugin-service/lib for example)
       and places them in a special folder within the RPM itself.

So as long as you do that and make sure that LICENSE, NOTICE and DISCLAIMER
find their way into all of the RPMs (regardless of whether they
contain C/C++ binaries
of JARs/WARs) you should be good for your next release.

Makes sense?

Thanks,
Roman.