hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Layout of LICENSE, NOTICE, and DISCLAIMER files for Apache HAWQ 2.2.0.0-incubating rpm binary release
Date Fri, 26 May 2017 02:11:25 GMT
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Ruilong Huo <rhuo@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Thanks Lei and Roman for the comments. Keeping the LICENSE and NOTICE files
> separated for each hawq rpm package makes it clear to understand and
> minimum maintenance effort.
>
> The DISCLAIMER is common for hawq components. However, we have separate
> binary packages for different components, such hawq core, pxf, and ranger,
> which means users might download and install them separately.
> So, I would prefer that we have separate DISCLAIMER file for each of the
> hawq rpm package.
>
> For now, we have identified the license information for hawq dependencies
> and proposed the process to merge that information to LICENSE and NOTICE
> files for hawq components. Can you review that and give your feedback
> before we prepare these files for further review?

I took a look at the spreadsheet and I think you're on exactly the right track.
For C/C++ components I trust your evaluation. As for PXF -- I'd like to take
a look at how they compose their JARs myself.

Ed and I already identified one issues with PXF that would have to be fixed:
json can't be used because of the "do no evil" license.

> Also, can you please elaborate on the license management plugin and
> documentation for them? Thanks.

These are mostly useful for Java projects but here's what I had in mind:
    https://github.com/hierynomus/license-gradle-plugin
    http://www.mojohaus.org/license-maven-plugin/
    https://github.com/pivotal/LicenseFinder

Thanks,