hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Guo <paul...@gmail.com>
Subject s/gettimeofday/clock_gettime/ in hawq?
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2017 05:36:12 GMT
Hi,

HAWQ sometimes use gettimeofday() syscall for some timeout check in various
module, however it could be affected by ntp, so the timeout checking logic
could be wrong sometimes. I would propose to use clock_gettime() to replace
it on Linux (I have not investigated the alternative on other platforms
e.g. mac). Both gettimeofday() and clock_gettime() are fast vdso sys call
so I do not expect there is performance loss in some case where there are
frequent calls of gettimeofday(). By the way, I found some gettimeofday()
calls on postgresql and gpdb, so they might have this issue also.

Regards,

Paul