hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 00:44:49 GMT
On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Ming Li <mli@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> What is the relationship between Apache Bigtop and any other commercial
> vendor?

Starting from Bigtop 1.2 the Bigtop release is ODPi compatible and as such
provides a great level of compatibility with the vendors participating in ODPi.

On top of that, anecdotal evidence suggests that different vendors that
are not part of ODPi are using Bigtop to build distributions (this includes
Cloudera, Amazon and Google among the most noticeable ones).

> All features and codes in Bigtop are all included into all other
> commercial vendor?

In general this is never true as a blanket statement for vendors building
products out of ASF components. Certain features may be disabled or
not exposed depending on the kind of use case that a given vendor is
satisfying.

>  If so, then we are pleased to support it because hawq
> can be used in much wider scope.

That's the main reason to test with Bigtop.

Thanks,
Roman.