hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Vineet Goel <vvin...@apache.org>
Subject Apache HAWQ & Pivotal HDB release alignment
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:00:19 GMT
Hi HAWQ dev community,

Over the last few months, many users in the HAWQ community have expressed
confusion about Apache HAWQ incubating release versions as compared to
Pivotal HDB release version numbering. Since Pivotal’s donation of HAWQ
codebase to Apache in September 2015, the community has grown, and users of
Apache HAWQ as well as HDB have participated and sought help from the HAWQ
dev/user community via mailing lists.

With my Pivotal representation on this topic, I’m proposing Pivotal team to
make an effort to align commercial releases of HDB based on Apache HAWQ
releases as much as possible. And, as part of the proposal, the commercial
HDB versions should also be aligned with the Apache HAWQ release
versioning. The net result of this alignment at Pivotal will likely result
in higher Apache HAWQ release cadence and collaboration, plus lesser user
confusion. I have seen this model work well in other Apache communities
like Apache Ambari and more, in conjunction with the respective commercial
releases.

Such an alignment on the versioning could quickly be achieved by doing a
one-time version bump of upcoming Apache HAWQ release to 2.2.0.0 (versus
2.1.0.0) as there is no way to lower the version on the other end. Would
the community & the Release Manager support such a version string change to
help Pivotal align their HDB releases to Apache HAWQ releases? I believe
such an alignment will benefit the joint user community significantly.

Regards,

Vineet