hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Passwordless SSH requirement presents a major usability inconvenience
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 22:52:44 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Jim Campbell <jacampbell@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hortonworks HDP uses passwordless ssh.
> (https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.0.1/bk_ambari-installation/content/set_up_password-less_ssh.html).

Correct but:
   1. it is optional
   2. it is Ambari itself, not the component it manages.

> I have used it on AWS and other cloud and virtual environments with no
> issue.  On AWS we use the internal network for passwordless ssh access.  The
> public address changes, but the internal network stays the same.

Sure. It is software -- anything's possible. What I'm talking about is
first time experience of users. I got tripped up this week. And then
when I asked around -- turns out a lot of folks get tripped up and
they just don't fight it anymore since it feels like it is "a feature not
a bug".

If somehow it was implemented it in such a way that it always worked
out of the box -- I won't be complaining. But it isn't. And in fact, in
the environments like Slider, BOSH, etc. it may not even be possible
to implement ssh-based mechanics.

> I know of a number of Hadoop ecosystem vendors that use passwordless ssh.

I don't know of a single one that use it in non-dev environment. Could you give
me any examples please?

> So your assertion that Hawq is the only Hadoop based platform using it is
> not true.    However, that does not mean that there are not benefits in
> figuring out how to get the software to work without passwordless.  Someone
> would have to make a determination of how important that capability is
> versus other priorities.

Well, that somebody is the community. That's the only way it can work in Apache.

Thanks,
Roman.