hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Chase <g...@gregchase.com>
Subject Re: libhdfs3 development is still going on outside of ASF
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 03:12:11 GMT
Its fine if libhdfs3 is a third party license, and is treated that way.

However, why does Apache HAWQ want to be dependent on some strange 3rd
party library with no transparency?

We are having enough difficulties just getting our first release out.

Is there a compelling reason why we need to keep up with the independently
developed libhdfs3 project?  Are they willing to make necessary changes so
that they are compatible with ASF's strict-for-a-good-reason policies?

Can we fork hdfs3 for Apache HAWQ's purposes in Apache?

If any libhdfs3 committers are also part of Apache HAWQ, perhaps you can
shed some light on the viability of this as an independent project since I
only see 4 contributors.

-Greg