hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Kyle Dunn <kd...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: libhdfs3 development is still going on outside of ASF
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 04:54:27 GMT
Chiming in here only as a casual but concerned observer.

Open source is about community first. If the logistics around "where"
libhdfs3 lives rather than the much more important issue of "how" it lives
are the focus here, I think we've missed the real issue.

For what it's worth, I concur with others, let's move it to HAWQ
exclusively and move on to addressing the community, starting with the
decision being made and how/where future contributions can be made.

My brief scan of libhdfs3 shows numerous open pull requests (with
apparently useful contributions) and several loose ends "issues". We need
to communicate effectively to these contributors whether those PRs and
issues are valuable and relevant. This type of engagement is what OSS
projects live and die by. We need to be better, starting with libhdfs3,
into HAWQ, and beyond.

"Open source isn't someone else's job" - it's everyone's job. I'm
challenging everyone with commit responsibly on repos to value community
input (both code and issues) as highly as your own backlog. Pay it forward
and maybe the community will start shrinking your backlog unexpectedly.

-Kyle

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, 21:33 Lei Chang <chang.lei.cn@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a short discussion before when we moved libhfds3 to HAWQ repo.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hawq-dev/201602.mbox/%3cCAE44UQe1xgcVOC76T_mgVbgGbR=Lx=XUBPVw18ZK4iZ3euCH+g@mail.gmail.com%3e
> I think it makes sense to keep libhdfs3 only in HAWQ repo to simplify
> Apache build and releases in current phase. This is what we have done in
> the past. But looks not everyone is on the same page.
> CheersLei
>

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM +0800, "Greg Chase" <greg@gregchase.com>
> wrote:
>

> Its fine if libhdfs3 is a third party license, and is treated that way.
>
> However, why does Apache HAWQ want to be dependent on some strange 3rd
> party library with no transparency?
>
> We are having enough difficulties just getting our first release out.
>
> Is there a compelling reason why we need to keep up with the independently
> developed libhdfs3 project?  Are they willing to make necessary changes so
> that they are compatible with ASF's strict-for-a-good-reason policies?
>
> Can we fork hdfs3 for Apache HAWQ's purposes in Apache?
>
> If any libhdfs3 committers are also part of Apache HAWQ, perhaps you can
> shed some light on the viability of this as an independent project since I
> only see 4 contributors.
>
> -Greg
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Hong Wu  wrote:
>
> > In my opinion, I think it is reasonable to transfer the third-party repo
> of
> > libhdfs3 totally into HAWQ, not only for the convenience of HAWQ build,
> but
> > also for the consideration of ASF project. So for HAWQ project, I am with
> > Roman.
> >
> > But my concern is the current users of libhdfs3 and all the pull
> requests,
> > wiki docs and issues. Another uncertain aspect from my perspective is
> that
> > although HAWQ could not run without libhdfs3, libhdfs3 could be used in
> > other open source projects, that might be the true meaning of making
> > libhdfs3 open source at the beginning.
> >
> > In summary, if it is really against the spirit of a ASF project for
> HAWQ, a
> > suggested way might be marking original libhdfs3 repo as a legacy repo in
> > stead of remove it.
> >
> > Best
> > Hong

> > > Currently libhdfs3’s official code is not the same as in HAWQ. Some new
> > > code does not copy into HAWQ.  I do not think code change of libhdfs3
> > > should follow HAWQ’s commit process because  many change are not
> related
> > > HAWQ.
> > >
> > > From HAWQ side, I suggest to keep the stable version of its third-party
> > > libraries and copy new libhdfs3’s code only when it is necessary.
> > >
> > > libhdfs3 was open source years before HAWQ incubating with a separated
> [...]
*Kyle Dunn | Data Engineering | Pivotal*
Direct: 303.905.3171 <3039053171> | Email: kdunn@pivotal.io