hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Guo <paul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: enforce -Werror (if gcc) in hawq?
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 05:41:50 GMT
For HAWQ, it is an open source project so I think from this respective, we
should
try to make all contributors have  the same development/test experience,
else
main contributors (e.g. committer) will have to waste time to fix those
errors introduced
by some contributors who know nothing about the context. Making the
build/test
less complex is our target. This is my answer to Hong and concern 1) of
Zhanwei

Back to the -Wall and -Werror details. To my best of knowledge,
1) gcc has been adjusting (probably mainly adding) the warning cases.
2) -Wall actually enables just part of warnings and the set of warning could
    vary in various gcc versions.

But I still think it should be enabled by default. The reasons are:

1) We actually just mainly tested on centos6.x by now. We actually did not
test on
    mac and centos7 that much. So "officially" we do not support that many
os and
    the fix will be not that tedious.

2) In the future if we want to have more os support, "gcc -Werror" is just
one small
    step of the whole work. I do not think this introduces much more work.

3) Although different gcc versions have different -Wall definitions, I
think the fixes
    for various gcc versions should be quite mutually tolerated.

4) Even above solutions do not work finally, we could specifies common
warnings
   via -Werror=, e.g. -Werror=-Wunused-variable,...