hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: libhdfs3 development is still going on outside of ASF
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2016 05:20:06 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Zhanwei Wang <wangzw@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Roman
>
> I think I have discussed enough about the benefit and drawback of merge two independent
project together.
> Let me propose a way to see if it can make both ASF and libhdfs3’s user happy. And
I need your advise.

> Is it possibile to have two git repository in ASF for HAWQ incubator project. If it is
possible, I propose to solve the libhdfs3 issue like this.

> 1) create a new git repository in ASF and push all libhdfs3’s code and branch from
Github to ASF.
> 2) make libhdfs3’s Github repository as read only mirror of ASF repository. Maybe need
to transfer current owner of Github repository from Pivotal to ASF on Github.
> 3) HAWQ keep the stable version code of libhdfs3 or just Git reference.
>

> In this way, we keep libhdfs3 independent and keep its all pull request, wiki, issues
and history. And most importantly libhdfs3 can follow ASF rules and process. People can file
pull request on Github and commit to ASF repository and eventually mirror to Github.

> Any comments?

It is possible, but at this point I will strongly recommend against
it. As it is,
you guys can't quite master the release process yet. Splitting the project
into multiple repos will only make it worse. Master the release mechanics
and then we can talk about multiple repos.

Now, that is NOT to say that when you DO release you shouldn't be producing
multiple source tarballs. That's more than appropriate and will give your users
maximum benefit on both HAWQ and libhdfs3 side of things.

Thanks,
Roman.