hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: libhdfs3 development is still going on outside of ASF
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 01:35:16 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Zhanwei Wang <wangzw@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Roman
>
> libhdfs3 works as third-party library of HAWQ, Just for the convenience of HAWQ release
> process we copy its code into HAWQ.  The reason is that HAWQ used to dependent on
> specific version of libhdfs3 and libhdfs3 only distribute as source code and the build
process is complicated.

I actually don't buy this argument. libhdfs3 is not an optional
dependency for HAWQ
like ORCA is (for example). Without libhdfs3 there's pretty tough to
imagine HAWQ.
As such the code base needs to be governed as part of the ASF project,
not a random
GitHub dependency.

IOW, let me ask you this: were all the changes that went into libhdfs3
that is part of
HAWQ discussed and reviewed via the ASF development process or did you just
import them from time to time as this comment suggests:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-1046?focusedCommentId=15489669&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15489669
?

> I do not think we have any reason to shutdown a third party’s official repository.

You say 3d party as though its not just you guys maintaining it on the side.

> We also copy google test source code into HAWQ, just as what we did for libhdfs3.

But this is very different. You don't do any development (certainly
you don't do any
non-trivial development) of that code.

> libhdfs3 open source under Apache license version 2 just the same as HAWQ. So I believe
there is no license issue.

You're correct. There's no licensing issue but there's a pretty significant
governance issue.

Thanks,
Roman.