hawq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Paul Guo (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (HAWQ-984) hawq config is too slow.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2016 07:08:20 GMT
Paul Guo created HAWQ-984:
-----------------------------

             Summary: hawq config is too slow.
                 Key: HAWQ-984
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-984
             Project: Apache HAWQ
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Command Line Tools
            Reporter: Paul Guo
            Assignee: Lei Chang


I tried to set a simple guc value via "hawq config" on my centos
virtual system, but it spends >6 seconds. I know "hawq config" just
simple scp-update xml files to various nodes. This should have
been very fast if network situation is fine (My test hawq system is all-in-one
test environment so network latency is not an issue.)

I expect this is done on my test system (just one seg node) in < 1 second.
But actually the time is:

$ time hawq config -c lc_messages -v en_US.UTF-8
GUC lc_messages already exist in hawq-site.xml
Update it with value: en_US.UTF-8
GUC		: lc_messages
Value		: en_US.UTF-8

real	0m6.363s
user	0m0.943s
sys	0m1.258s

I quickly monitored the processes when running "hawq config",
it seems that the scp command finishes very early and adding
print debug code in python file gpscp shows that the code in it
finishes also very early.

I'm not sure if anyone sees that long like my case (my system
is probably quite mangled after dev and test). I roughly traced
the python stack. I suspect there is something wrong in python
or we are not using related module well or we should replace modules.
At least to my limited python knowledge,  python subprocess
(A suspicious culprit) is quite tricky.

I just checked "hawq config" but it is possible other CLI suffers from this also.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message