hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Kavinder Dhaliwal <kdhali...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Planner invoked twice on master
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2016 16:24:51 GMT
Hi Lirong,

Thanks for the detailed and thorough response. It's really cleared things
up.

If you are looking for some guy "to be blamed" for making the decision
> of invoking the planner twice on master, unfortunately, that guy would be
> me, :).

Not at all. I wasn't sure if I had stumbled across a bug or a design
decision. It does seem based on your explanation that it was an odd
situation that didn't really lend itself to the most straightforward
solution

> IMO, for the long term, maybe the best solution is to embed the logic
> of resource negotiation into the planner. In that case, the output of the
> planner consists of the needed number of virtual segments and the
> associated optimal execution plan. The planner can be invoked just once on
> master.

This seems like a great next step for HAWQ, so hopefully we're able to
implement this in the near future.

Thanks again for the response

Kavinder