hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Lei Chang <lei_ch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confusion around HAWQ versions in JIRA
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 07:56:59 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Vineet Goel <vvineet@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologies for any confusion. Let me expand further:
>
> 1) My proposal was to update the JIRA versions. I didn't think
> 2.0.0-incubating and 2.0.0 are the same, we should either consolidate them
> as one, or change the JIRA version numbers to be numerically different.
> Version 2.0.0 shows 5 open JIRAs that may or may not belong to
> "2.0.0-incubating" release. See link:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ/fixforversion/12334195/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel
> vs
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ/fixforversion/12334000/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel
>
> We should update the 5 JIRAs listed in 2.0.0 with the correct status and
> fix versions. This will make it easy to track the upcoming release.

Agree. What I meant is also to consolidate the two into "2.0.0-incubating"
or "2.0.0.0-incubating" depending on which version schema we will choose.

> 2) Regarding the 4-digit versioning in the code, that's a good discussion
> to have.
> What is the proposed convention for managing the 4 digits and what sort of
> code/API changes trigger a change in specific digits ? It would be good to
> discuss the details.

The 4-digit x.y.z.w versioning is:

x: means major release
y. means minor release
z. means bug fix release
w. used for hot fix release

Catalog and data format changes need x or y change. From the number
changes, end users know whether it needs a hawq upgrade. for this scheme,
API changes are not reflected in the number. For 3-digit semantic
versioning, the rules to increase the number is quite different, the number
change does not reflect catalog changes or data format changes but it
reflects API changes.