hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Lei Chang <lei_ch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confusion around HAWQ versions in JIRA
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 05:58:36 GMT
This is indeed a confusing issue. I am even confused by what Vineet
proposed.

There are several versions currently used across the systems:

1) the 3-digit JIRA versions: currently it has 2.0.0-incubating and 2.0.0.
and i think they are the same, "2.0.0-incubating" is more formal for
incubating project.

2) the 4-digit versions in the code which is inherited from postgres and
will be shown in "select version()" command;  it is somewhat related to
library compatibility and it is also related to third party tools. Some
tools may read and parse versions, and changing from 4 digit to 3 digit
might introduce some unknown incompatibility issues.

So currently there are 2 options:

1. Keep 4-digit version scheme, changing everything to 4 digit versions,
and release it.

2. Change everything to 3 digits and this might introduce some unknown
incompatibility issues.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Lei