hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Replace git submodule with git clone + file with commit number?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:03:20 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Gmail <xunzhangthu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the method using git clone is fine.
>
> But I suggest we'd better keep the makefile readable. I mean we should not add too trivial
shell logic inside makefile itself.
> For example, write a shell or Python script for users. Users should run the script before
building HAWQ if they need to install this libraries.

Huge +1 to the above. That's what I was suggesting in my previous
emails saying that
you should allow users to make dependencies available and then just
point at them.

> I also wonder what's the typical solution for similar problems of other Apache projects.

Typically solution is to make sure that your build logic is capable of
picking up
binary dependencies.

> Do they use git sub module?

Not really. Most ASF projects have a single repo for the project (docs
and site source
code being an exception) and their dependency management is done through binary
dependencies.

> How do they solve this in their release?

When you say 'release' this gets me slightly worried in the context of
Git submodules.
See, releases of ASF projects must be self-contained to a degree. If
you require source
in the Git submodule for the release to be functional it should give
you a pretty strong
indication that the source probably belongs to your project. If what
submodules does
is more of a plugin -- just declare a binary dependency.

Thanks,
Roman.