hawq-dev mailing list archives

From hong wu <xunzhang...@gmail.com>
Subject Use Travis instead of Jenkins to ensure building success from pull request?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 07:06:04 GMT
Hi HAWQ committers,

Recently, since the Jenkins service integrated inside apache HAWQ project
is problematic, could we open the travis service instead? The .travis.yml file
has already existed and has worked in self-forked HAWQ repos(such as
https://travis-ci.org/xunzhang/incubator-hawq/builds). The original Jenkins
script was something wrong and even didn't check compiling.

Some pros:
 - Travis CI script is visible to developers/users which is much more
friendly and easier to maintain(comparing to Jenkins)
 - To make sure every pull request is valid(comparing to current status)

Some cons:
 - Admin could not log into the Travis machine to debug.
 - Current travis script only check building status in osx. Because of the
osx resource in travis machine is limited: some pending time + not that
enough CPUs. It will take about 25min to pass the total HAWQ building
process.

Also, I am not sure whether A apache project must use Jenkins for its
open-source CI. Any comments? Thanks.

Best
xunzhang