hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Guo Gang <paul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HAWQ 795,796,797
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:16:17 GMT
This is a good question and concern. One of the solution is to auto-switch
the "git submodule" command to "git clone"+"git reset --hard" command in
the source tarball.  It means we do not ship previous submodule code in our
source tarball and we do not ask users to download themselves also.

A simple design:

For source tarball, we provide an extra file (not in git repo) which
includes previous submodule info (e.g. github address, destination path
commit number), and we modify configure files on github to set a
environment variable to auto-determine (e.g. by checking whether it is a
git repo or checking whether the extra file exists or not) the "submodule"
and "clone" cases, and then the environment variable could be used in
makefile to determine which way to download the previous submodule
workspace.