hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: HAWQ 795,796,797
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:03:34 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 12:16 AM, Guo Gang <paulguo@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a good question and concern. One of the solution is to auto-switch
> the "git submodule" command to "git clone"+"git reset --hard" command in
> the source tarball.  It means we do not ship previous submodule code in our
> source tarball and we do not ask users to download themselves also.
>
> A simple design:
>
> For source tarball, we provide an extra file (not in git repo) which
> includes previous submodule info (e.g. github address, destination path
> commit number), and we modify configure files on github to set a
> environment variable to auto-determine (e.g. by checking whether it is a
> git repo or checking whether the extra file exists or not) the "submodule"
> and "clone" cases, and then the environment variable could be used in
> makefile to determine which way to download the previous submodule
> workspace.

I actually don't think this will fly with ASF. The source tarball
releases are required
to be as self-contained as possible. What I would suggest instead is
for you to consider
treating ORC support as an optional dependency. IOW, if the library is
detected in
the environment -- you use it. If not -- not.

Bonus point for actually making it pluggable so that orc.so can be dynamically
loaded at runtime (that would probably require changes on the ORC side as well
since it currently doesn't support .so).

Will this work for you?

Thanks,
Roman.