hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: HAWQ 795,796,797
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:16:42 GMT
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Lei Chang <lei_chang@apache.org> wrote:
> My understanding of the intention here is not to maintain our own copy and
> and the target is to contribute it back to ORC project. It is just for
> improving developer efficiency that might be introduced by delay from
> acceptance from another project.
>
> Hong and I had a offline discussion, I think we can have a better way for
> this. From initial development, we even do not need to change the library
> and if changes are needed, the proposal is to start JIRAs and submit pull
> requests on Apache ORC.

That actually would be an ideal choice. Another choice, of course, would
be to work with ORC community to enable plug-points that would then
enable you to replace/augment parts of ORC library functionality with
your own code (C++ OOP is supposed to be good for that ;-)).

Finally, if all else fails you can always maintain a copy of the
library in a branch
waiting for all your required changes to find their way into the ORC release
propper.

And speaking of branches: at the end of the day our #1 priority should
be unblocking the upcoming HAWQ release. While we can keep the conversation
going on what to do with the ORC, we need to get a release branch without
that commit out so that we can have a release done.

Makes sense?

Thanks,
Roman.