hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Concern about under-communication in the HAWQ community
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 22:13:38 GMT
Hi!

for the past month or so I've been noticing that there's
clearly under-communication going on in the HAWQ
community. In fact, the more activity I see around code
going in with next to 0 activity on dev@

A community needs conversation. Discussion. Consideration
of topics, roadmaps, and feature development.

Here's the most recent example of that:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-410
where a commit recently went in without the JIRA ever
being updated or a solution negotiated/reviewed with
the original submitter. In fact, the content of that commit
is not problem free. For example, the following really
needs to be fixed:
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/blob/master/depends/libhdfs3/README.md
Libhdfs3 is developed by Pivotal and used in HAWQ, which
is a massive parallel database engine in Pivotal Hadoop
Distribution.

A similar example is:
     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-536
where the original contribution seems to have been
silently ignored and a new issue and code merge on
HAWQ-548 did the exact same thing without recognition
of the previous issue.

Another good example of this would be:
     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-307
where there was a lot of collaboration on a JIRA driven
by Cos, there was a branch for that work developed in
the tree, but now it seems that branch no longer gets
any attention and it feels like we're restarting this from
scratch.

I can go on, but I think you get my point.

At this point, I'd like to:
   1. highlight this in our Incubator report
   2. understand how are you guys going to change the situation
Please provide your comments on this thread for both.

Thanks,
Roman.