hawq-dev mailing list archives

From "Clay Baenziger (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <cbaenzi...@bloomberg.net>
Subject Re: build hawq on ubuntu
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2016 00:22:31 GMT
Hi Cos,

Sorry for missing your HAWQ mail, but indeed I only build using the source and not packages
for HAWQ-307. (And with a pretty ugly LD_LIBRARY_PATH by the end due to libhdfs, libyarn,
thrift and the older bison.) Particularly for thrift, I'm doing the following in my Chef code
for thrift:

https://github.com/cbaenziger/incubator-hawq/blob/4d328ca8444966ffd5ea149f3ac4429c07c26bf1/chef/hawq_build/recipes/thrift.rb#L29-L35

Good news is I finally got my general Hadoop Chef code to work for CentOS and the HAWQ-307
changes built -- and deployed -- for CentOS 7.1 as well.

Once I get some bandwidth I'll run one more test-kitchen hawq.*cluster to see if the new branch
on the Apache GitHub works and if so, then I think all should be good for HAWQ-307.

-Clay

From: dev@hawq.incubator.apache.org At: Mar 16 2016 23:47:20
To: dev@hawq.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: build hawq on ubuntu

I have decided to send email here, because HAWQ-307 seems to be getting cold.
A few issues I git with Ubuntu build:

 - building libhdfs (with right set of libprotobuf* packages can go through),
   but from the integration standpoint it is no go at the moment, because
   there's no .deb package for it, and it isn't a part of Hawq (like libyarn).
   I believe it was planned to be included into Hawq code-base, right?

 - thrift development library isn't readily available (as it is from
   epel-release repo). Hence, the only option is to build it from scratch.
   However, it seems to be needed some crazy ^H^H^H^H^H^H exotic dependencies
   like mentioned in [1], otherwise the build fails.

If anyone working on HAWQ-307 can chime in - it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
  Cos

1. http://is.gd/74aF6S