hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Contribution process: corrections are needed
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 21:30:53 GMT
What as triggered this email is the comment http://is.gd/voNOYe asking for a GH
PR to make a review of 3-lines patch easier.

So, I've decided to return the favor and looked at the Contribution wiki. Now
with my mentor hat on I would kindly ask the community to alter the
description of the contribution process and make GH to be an optional or
alternative way of contributing the code. A project source code _has_ to
originate from the ASF premises. By posting this

{noformat}
# Fork the apache github mirror incubator-hawq repo; you will work on your own repo for new
features or bug fixes
# Clone your own repository to local
git clone https://github.com/changleicn/incubator-hawq

# Add the apache github mirror as “upstream”
git remote add upstream https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq.git
{noformat}

On top of variety of a bucket of other potential issues, this above is
effectively forcing new contributors to use GH and making it mandatory for
someone who wants to contribute a, perhaps, tiny piece of content to go and
create a GH account, etc. This seems to be creating an unnecessary barrier of
entry and making the podling to be dependent from an external tooling. To put
it in perspective, this is as bad as saying "Ok, if you want to contribute
you'll have to use Eclipse (or Emacs or whatever)".

Would be happy to go into more details on this, but perhaps it is clear enough.
Thanks in advance!
  Cos