hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Fwd: Git status update
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 05:16:35 GMT
FYI. Please note that for your first upcoming releases
there's an extra requirement for tag naming.

Thanks,
Roman.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nalley <ke4qqq@apache.org>
Date: Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Subject: Git status update
To: "infrastructure@apache.org" <infrastructure@apache.org>

Greeting PMCs:
(bcc to pmcs@apache.org)

Following direction from the Board, Infrastructure has modified git to
permit force pushes, and branch/tag deletion.

In accordance with the guidance that the Board we've implemented a few
changes you should be aware of:

First, If a forced commit is pushed, the subsequent commit email will
contain '[Forced Update!]' in the subject line. The hope here is that
it draws extra attention to the situation for a project community to
be aware, and take appropriate action if needed.

Second, we've changed the 'protected' portions of git to primarily
focus on refs/tags/rel - thus any tags under rel, will have their
entire commit history. This provides the provenance that the ASF needs
for releases, while still giving projects the ability to mold their
repository in the way they see fit.

Thus when a release vote is successful - part of the release process
should become tagging the voted upon commit SHA under rel/ to make it
indelible. ('# git tag rel/v15.4.2 ' or something similar.)

If you have questions, please feel free to email infrastructure@apache.org

--David
on behalf of Apache Infrastructure