hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: What's bar to be a HAWQ committer?
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:31:34 GMT
Hi Lei,

I have two additional comments to add to what Roman and Cos already said.

In the early stages of the Incubation process, it's probably better to
err on the side of inclusion.  Especially given the early adoption of
RTC, code contributions will be vetted.  Not everyone is going to be
able work on HAWQ full-time - nor should that be a gatekeeper for
commit access.  Chances are that folks who contribute at this early
stage could be nurtured into being fantastic contributors.  As a
mentor, this is one of the criteria I'd like to see before graduation
- are projects accepting of contributors who show up and recognize
them accordingly?

I would also think it'd be a good idea to think - and document - what
the definition of sustained contributions are.  While it doesn't have
to be concrete (e.g. number of patches or months), there should be
some guidance available.

Subversion has some useful docs that may be worth perusing at:

http://subversion.apache.org/contributing.html
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html#committers

Cheers.  -- justin