hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Propose an Apache HAWQ Release
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2015 00:39:41 GMT
On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Ting(Goden) Yao <tyao@pivotal.io> wrote:
> I just tagged "2.0.0-beta-incubating-RC2" based on latest commit:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/commit/b6cb39c37e83fb5ee542b9f953c3a5e28e4617eb

This looks *much* better than RC1. Great progress, team!

Still a few things are left that need to be addressed:
   0. Content of  tools/bin/pythonSrc doesn't look good to me.
   There's GPL stuff in there that absolutely MUST be purged
   from our repo. There are a few things under MIT and BSD
   licenses in there as well, but since you will have to come up
   with a solution for GPL archives you may as well get rid of
   all of them.

   1. netperf-2.4.3.tar.gz needs to be removed. It is under a specific
   license from HP and we can't carry it in the tarball release of HAWQ

   2. I still think that we need to get rid of Gradle jar. In order to solve
   boostraping problem you can either use the approach Bigtop is taking:
          https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/gradlew#L18
   (just replace your gradelw with Bigtop's). Or you can mandate Gradle.

   3. I really appreciate RAT integration, but looking at the exclude list
   I don't think the following belongs there:
             <exclude>**/*.mk</exclude>
             <exclude>**/*.mak</exclude>
             <exclude>**/*.yaml</exclude>
             <exclude>**/*.m4</exclude>
             <exclude>config/*</exclude>
             <exclude>**/*.rc</exclude>
             <exclude>**/*.f</exclude>
             <exclude>**/Makefile*</exclude>
   Instead of wholesale exclusion like that I'd like to see exclusion based on
   subtrees of the source tree. IOW, if a file that matches one of the above
   masks comes from PG just mark it so and mark a folder. Excluding a whole
   class of files based on extension makes RAT less useful in the future.

   4. In general, I'd like to see the exclude list for RAT be more structured
   and concise. It is currently 446 entries long and pretty much impossible
   to review properly.

Thanks,
Roman.