hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's bar to be a HAWQ committer?
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2015 17:57:18 GMT
It's up to the community to decide what's the entry barrier, but here a few
points to consider:
 - not everybody worthy a committer-ship might be interested in doing the
   whole laundry list below
 - Apache projects are collectives of volunteers, contributing where there
   want to and when they have time for it. Expecting every and each one of
   them to cover 27 different areas of possible contributions will slow the
   community growth to halt
 - IIRC, this project decided to stick to RTC, which is proven to have a
   slow-down effect on the participation rate, so be extra careful setting
   such a high bar

None of what I said means that sloppy coders or arrogant jack-asses should be
welcomed with open arms. Say, there's someone who's doing great job in the,
say, query optimization part of the project, helps others to understand
his work and gives feedback to other contribution in the same area. If the
same time the guy doesn't give a hoot about anything else in the project - he
should be invited as a committer. But per the following guidelines, he would
never be welcomed here.

Something to think about, perhaps.
  Cos