hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Propose an Apache HAWQ Release
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2015 17:46:48 GMT
Returning from a bloody battle elseproject, I'd like to give a couple of words
of caution. Producing releases that have dashes '-' in the version name is
putting a lot of pressure on the downstream projects. The issue isn't apparent
until you start producing linux packages. Debs would be fine, however RPMs
because of their design shortcomings would be hard to build as '-' is
prohibited in the version.

Say, Bigtop would be directly affected by that if you guys ever want to be
integrated in it.

Besides, version literals aren't a good place to communicate semantics like
'alpha', 'beta' and so on. This is what Release Notes are for.

Perhaps, more strict following of semver would be a good idea at until the
community figure out the integration points with the rest of the ecosystem,
etc.

Looks like the RC will be respinning, so I will take a closer look at the
release then. Cheers,
  Cos