hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Caleb Welton <cwel...@pivotal.io>
Subject Docker Image
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:51:32 GMT
On our "Build & Install" wiki page[1] we have instructions on build HAWQ
based on the docker image "mayjojo/hawq-dev".

This is very nice for quick start for new developers.

A couple thoughts and comments.

1. It does not come with HDFS and YARN preinstalled which means that you
can build but you cannot deploy and test.  This in turn limits the utility
of the docker image.  It would be very valuable to have the dev environment
have all the dependencies necessary to run HAWQ. Or, alternatively, provide
some minimal instructions for how to install the needed dependencies.
Ultimately the dev environment should be sufficient to get all the way
through a `hawq init cluster` and be able to successfully run a `make
installcheck`.

2. It might be nice to supply the Dockerfile that generated the image so
that other people could make specific modifications based on their
environment needs.

3. The dependencies seem to include boost.  I thought we didn't need boost
for the more recent versions of libhdfs?  Is there something specific
introducing the boost dependency?

Cheers,
  Caleb

[1]