hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Caleb Welton <cwel...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Staying with RTC (review-then-commit) rule
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 18:48:32 GMT
Konstantin, thanks for the references, it's helpful seeing what other
projects have done and the discussions they have had.

Right now I'm inclined to follow Roman's advice of starting with RTC at
least until we've gotten into the swing of things Apache style.  This also
seems in-line with the contribution guidelines that Lei sketched out [1]
which seems to assume a RTC model.

The LazyConsensus model seems like a good addition to a pure RTC.  The
voting guidelines that you posted seem to indicate 3 +1's are typical.
>From a hallway conversation with Roman it sounded like 1 or 2 are equally
common.

So... I propose:
  - Use RTC and revisit if we feel this is too much overhead
  - Start with 2 +1's defining consensus
  - Allow LazyConsensus
  - Update the contribution guidelines accordingly

Agree/Disagree?  Hopefully we can get some more people to weigh in.

Caleb

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Contributing+to+HAWQ#ContributingtoHAWQ-Codereview