hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Staying with RTC (review-then-commit) rule
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:12:33 GMT
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:06PM, CHANG Lei wrote:
> CTR (Commit then Review) or RTC (Review then commit) is a process we need
> to finalize soon. Actually, most of the hawq code developed before follows
> CTR.
>
> And I just found some other commits on the branch (that does not get 2 +1s,
> looks from Caleb :-)
>
> So IMO, to get this finalized might be a good practice for an apache voting
> process on Procedural item (http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html).

While using voting to rubber-stamp a procedural vote is a legit use of the
voting process, let's only use it after the consensus [1] is reached. Voting
isn't a replacement nor a right mechanism to establish policies or practices
within the community. A couple of good examples of gaining the consensus
through the community relevant to the topic are [2] and [3]

Cos

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus
[2] http://bit.ly/1gLeArc
[3] http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Jira-Process-tp1816p1831.html