harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Move Apache Harmony to the Attic
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:02:56 GMT
I don't get the "stole from free software developers" reference, as I
wasn't watching it...

Not sure why you think PD is more "free" than ALv2. Perhaps because PD
would allow submarining patented technology into a contribution and
then sue the users of it for patent infringement? ALv2 prohibits such
"freedom", and it is this paradox that creates one of the ALv2
incompatibility issues with GPLv2 (but not in v3 since patents are
explicitly spelled out there).
Maybe you are eager to get hold of the "Harmony" name, which Apache is
unlikely to "hand over" easily (see iBatis->MyBatis and
HiveMind->Gaderian as examples)?
What other "freedom" do you seek? Hypothetical abstractions are not
well received in the legal corners of ASF....

I think this is not a PMC issue but a Board issue (there is a policy
that all PMCs MUST use ALv2 for created code), and I doubt they will
consider your request after consulting Legal Counsel.

Cheers
Niclas

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM, johann Sorel <sorel.johann@inbox.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You are right, if they want they can use it with this license but still it's a source
of problems. we have plenty of different licenses out there, MIT, BSD, GPL ... and some more
license we surely be created in the futur, mixing them is not always fun. All of them are
not fully compatible. Legal problems are something really dirty when you encounter them, noone
working on open-source projects want to have such problems.

> The apache license is ~more or less~ fine today (everyone has it's own preference), but
might become a problem later. To avoid those problems the change can only be done now while
the PMC is still here.

> Setting it in public domain can also make it revive, forks can start much more easely
from it. Several JVM have ~dyed~ (or are in lawsuit like google dalvik, android) in the last
year. Having a few more vm out there would be for the best, specialy if they are already reliable
alternatives like harmony.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk