harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Move Apache Harmony to the Attic
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:30:24 GMT
On 03/11/2011 08:49, johann Sorel wrote:
> You are right, if they want they can use it with this license but
> still it's a source of problems. we have plenty of different licenses
> out there, MIT, BSD, GPL ... and some more license we surely be
> created in the futur, mixing them is not always fun. All of them are
> not fully compatible. Legal problems are something really dirty when
> you encounter them, noone working on open-source projects want to
> have such problems.
>
> The apache license is ~more or less~ fine today (everyone has it's
> own preference), but might become a problem later. To avoid those
> problems the change can only be done now while the PMC is still
> here.

There are no rights granted explicitly to the PMC itself, so it is not
true that anything is 'lost' in this regard when the PMC is disbanded.

> Setting it in public domain can also make it revive, forks can start
> much more easely from it. Several JVM have ~dyed~ (or are in lawsuit
> like google dalvik, android) in the last year. Having a few more vm
> out there would be for the best, specialy if they are already
> reliable alternatives like harmony.

Contributions to the Harmony project are all made under the ICLA [1]
which grants licenses to the Foundation and to recipients of the code we
distribute.

While Apache owns the collective work of a release, the original author
retains ownership of their individual contributions.  Therefore Apache
can only operate within the terms of the license granted.

Even if we wanted to - the gift is not ours to give.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Regards,
Tim