harmony-dev mailing list archives

From johann Sorel <sorel.joh...@inbox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Active?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 18:48:02 GMT

Hello,

I had a similar concern last year when starting a project for a paradygm model.
At this time I was hesitating between Apache Harmony and Parrot VM...
and choose parrot to experiment something different from the java world.
With all the events around java, and the fact there is only openjdk left, I definetly
believe I made the right choice.

Perhaps like me you could explore other solutions, there are plenty of other vm, just to name
few ones, CLR, ParrotVM, NekoVM, LuaVM  ...

Since you mention Android and the DalvikVM, lets hope Google will cut relations with java
and build a pseudo-java. even so if google does not free the entire code source of dalvik
then
it won't be any better, in the best case story will repeat itself.

The nekoVM and LuaVM might be the safest choices considering the license, one is LGPL the
other MIT, ... I haven't found any VM under Public Domain unfortunatly :( .

Johann