harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Moving Apache Harmony to the Attic
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2011 02:56:07 GMT
On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
> Moving to the attic would be so sad... Have you ever thought of moving away
> from Apache?

There is at least one case of "revival" from Attic to an external
project, HiveMind was resurrected as Gaderian[1], although I think the
energy ran out after some first couple of intensively months.
Harmony is a much larger project, it is not likely that enough big
group of people can pull it off, unless some serious corporate
backing. And my guess is that if a company is interested, then it
wouldn't surprise me they just clone it internally.

What you can't "fork" is the name. "Harmony" will stay with Apache,
and any new effort will have to choose another name.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk