harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject [general] specialized JVM for Groovy
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:28:08 GMT
Hi all,

I noticed that there is recently not much going on in harmony, but I
hope there are still enough people to react to this mail.

As one implementing a dynamic language for the JVM, namely Groovy, I
continuously have to fight the JVM in so many terms, that I am wondering
if it would not be an idea to extend an existing JVM to make things
fast. For this I was thinking of an basically running implementation in
Java, but with special recognition by for example the JIT, to remove
some of the heavy stones in the pathway. This is for example the meta
class system, invoking methods in general, hopefully to be able to
collapse some code paths and maybe do some checks internally faster than
what we have now.

Of course with invokedynamic JSR292 we would get maybe many of these
things, but there will be still problems, only a bit less.

So I was wondering if Harmony would be a good starting point for this
kind of approach. I would like to hear some opinions of the developers
if you care.

bye Jochen

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou