harmony-dev mailing list archives

From David Beberman <dbeber...@aicas.com>
Subject Re: Rebooting the Harmony project
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:31:42 GMT
We are a commercial JVM as well, Aicas.
Not sure that is relevant for this discussion though.

On 3/14/2011 5:23 PM, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> On 14 March 2011 20:26, johann Sorel<sorel.johann@inbox.com>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know I am not a contributor to harmony, yet if my opinion can help.
>> (My proposition was here : http://harmony.markmail.org/search/?q=sorel#query:sorel%20from%3A%22johann%20Sorel%22+page:1+mid:bzifm5jshpviyyzz+state:results
)

>> So far, there are only two JVM remaining (if we exclude Google Dalvik not really
a jvm).
>> Oracle JDK and OpenJDK ('Oracle JDK-Express' as we can start hearing in discussions).
>>
> Neither of those are JVMs and both (if you believe Oracle) are largely
> the same thing.
>
> At least the following JVMs are still active:
>    * HotSpot
>    * GCJ
>    * CACAO
>    * JamVM
>    * JikesRVM
>
> and there are probably others.  Didn't Harmony also have its own VM?
>
>> I didn't have any comments about what the harmony developers think of the Parrot
VM projet. Personaly I joined there IRC channel several times to learn how to build up my
own language and they are quite friendly with already a big/huge community. I truly think
harmony could see a new future in this direction. Someone reminded me that harmony must have
some support from companies to live on. Perhaps there is a way to find some financial support
by proposing to merge harmony and parrot. the Java developers and companies which are frustrated
by oracle would surely appreciate to have an exit door if oracle continues to lock the java
ecosystem and the perl/lua/python ecosystem would be able to use the java libraries.

>> Apache foundation host a wide range of libraries, so imagine a second we could run
a batch to recompile all projects with a different bytecode community driven by a mix of Apache/Parrot
foundations. then deploy everything using the newly compiled maven. we obtain a fair size
number of libraries, community driven, java language compatible, and an already existing community.
>> sounds like a reasonable java/oracle alternative to me :) , what about you ?
>>
>> Sure, there is work to do but everything we need is already here. find an agreement
between apache and parrot foundations and merge things. at least try to have a talk with them,
it won't do any harm.

--
David Beberman
Dir. Business Development