harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Rebooting the Harmony project
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:52:17 GMT
As will be obvious to regular readers of this list, the Apache Harmony
development community has seen a steady reduction in capacity over the
last few months.

Having a period of reflection and reassessment after the turmoil
surrounding the JCK licensing issue is natural, and there has been some
discussion about the project road map for moving forward with a new goal.

However, as a consequence of the current reduction in participation
there is no longer an active Harmony PMC quorum to oversee the actions
of the project.  It is with great sadness that I'll be stepping down as
Chair of the PMC.

I feel it is too early to move Harmony to the Attic [1], yet we do need
to ensure there is proper oversight of the project's activities.  We'll
be looking for a new Chair amongst the experienced Apache folks, and
have been discussing moving to a level of oversight/guidance by inviting
Incubator [2] mentors to join in our discussions.

The intention of these actions is to provide the time and space for
Harmony developers to decide where to contribute, and how to make best
use of the code we have all worked so hard on to date.  As always,
comments, questions, and suggestions are most welcome.

[1] http://attic.apache.org/
[2] http://incubator.apache.org

Regards,
Tim