harmony-dev mailing list archives

From johann Sorel <sorel.joh...@inbox.com>
Subject RE: Rebooting the Harmony project
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:26:50 GMT

Hello,

I know I am not a contributor to harmony, yet if my opinion can help.
(My proposition was here : http://harmony.markmail.org/search/?q=sorel#query:sorel%20from%3A%22johann%20Sorel%22+page:1+mid:bzifm5jshpviyyzz+state:results
)

So far, there are only two JVM remaining (if we exclude Google Dalvik not really a jvm).
Oracle JDK and OpenJDK ('Oracle JDK-Express' as we can start hearing in discussions).

I didn't have any comments about what the harmony developers think of the Parrot VM projet.
Personaly I joined there IRC channel several times to learn how to build up my own language
and they are quite friendly with already a big/huge community. I truly think harmony could
see a new future in this direction. Someone reminded me that harmony must have some support
from companies to live on. Perhaps there is a way to find some financial support by proposing
to merge harmony and parrot. the Java developers and companies which are frustrated by oracle
would surely appreciate to have an exit door if oracle continues to lock the java ecosystem
and the perl/lua/python ecosystem would be able to use the java libraries.

Apache foundation host a wide range of libraries, so imagine a second we could run a batch
to recompile all projects with a different bytecode community driven by a mix of Apache/Parrot
foundations. then deploy everything using the newly compiled maven. we obtain a fair size
number of libraries, community driven, java language compatible, and an already existing community.
sounds like a reasonable java/oracle alternative to me :) , what about you ?

Sure, there is work to do but everything we need is already here. find an agreement between
apache and parrot foundations and merge things. at least try to have a talk with them, it
won't do any harm.

my 2 cents

johann sorel

Send your photos by email in seconds...