harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: re : Board report October - December 2010
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:22:24 GMT
Hi,

     I am not sure if I correctly understand "Attic", but in my mind it is
not "cancelling" the project but a rest, short or long. I think it is OK for
Harmony and Harmony people to take a rest now. Though, leaving Harmony on
Attic does make me feel I am a betrayer.
     Yes actually no one cares about JCP or any other certificates, the only
problem is the requirement from customers. We know why many developer leaves
Harmony, we know Harmony is not attractive enough to gain customers, and we
see even Eclipse, the community support Harmony from very early milestones,
now stand on OpenJDK side. Of course, I will change my mind if Harmony do
have real requirement, and have a clear target to archive (like Hadoop, but
we don't know how much would it be).
     So if Harmony community becomes inactive and have only very few
patches/discussions, I'd rather vote for Attic. However we can still dream
one day, something changes the java world, someone becomes interested in a
different Java/Java-like language, or anything make Harmony competitive, we
may take it from Attic, dust off and restart to work on it.

     Open source Never die, the dreams Never die.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv