harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for help to port Harmony JVM to an embedded target
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 12:54:12 GMT
On 07/Dec/2010 14:54, Joe Droider wrote:
> We are looking into Harmony jvm as a platform for an embedded device. The
> embedded device is based off stripped down version of Linux. The processor
> it runs on is powerpc based.
> The kernel version is 2.6.33.3-rt17.p2.21 #1 PREEMPT RT.
>
> Is there a port of Harmony for this platform?
> If we need to do it ourselves, what are the requirements?
> We have crosstools chain (gcc etc) that runs on X86 Linux and generates
> target binaries.

Hi Joe.  The current Harmony code won't work unmodified on this
platform, the main body of work will be porting the code generation for
the JIT.  The interpreter and class library code should be in reasonable
shape for the Linux build.

Depending upon how cut-down your target is, I think the best answer is
to run the build scripts and see how far you get.  I'll let others
comment on the work required to get a working JIT for this platform.

Regards,
Tim