harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:38:04 GMT

In message <AANLkTimb6FfNVpGmSTYcKLXMnM5ZNmMEkSxJOPXS62di@mail.gmail.com>,
Ray Chen writes:

> Hi Mark,
> Does release manager must be a PMC?

No.  See:

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#release_manager

> If not, maybe I can take the responsibility.

That would be great.

> However, I don't know much about how to do it, I think we need some
> transferring work.

Ask here if you have questions.  My activity as release manager for
previous releases was something like ...

Suggest dates, announce freezes, encourage people to do testing and
move things along a bit when people send test results, work to resolve
release critical issues, produce signed source artifacts, start a vote,
conclude the vote and produce signed binaries.

The scripts I use to create linux source and binary artifacts are in svn
at:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/standard/tools/release

I do the equivalent manual process for both windows platforms.

The last crucial part is populating the /dist/ tree for mirroring.
You need to be careful doing this so as to avoid messing up lots of
mirrors.  I tend to make the tree elsewhere then check that it matches
the size/shape of the previous release tree before using rsync to put
it in to /dist/.

Just ask if you have question about any of the process.

Regards,
 Mark.