harmony-dev mailing list archives

From chris.g...@k-embedded-java.com
Subject Re: [general] Harmony future roadmap
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:23:13 GMT
Hi Tim,

> I think all options and opinions are open for discussion.  We could
simply continue with the current goal and encourage the Apache Board to
seek the JCK license by whatever means is posible, we could modify our
goal and plan to release an uncertified Java SE runtime, or more
radically change Harmony's goal away from Java SE.

Previously the situation was that Harmony didn't *want* to pass the JCK,
Harmony *had* to pass the JCK in order to be able to make a release. But
that was all based on agreements and contracts which have now been
unequivocally abrogated, so I guess it doesn't matter much any more.  In
which case I think Harmony should turn its back on the JCK and instead
seek to be as compatible as possible "by whatever means is posible".  The
only question is whether Harmony should try to track the whole of Java 7
and 8 or try to stick with a "core" and leave the rest to other (possibly
Apache) projects.

"Modularising" Java in this way would already be a radical departure from
the way Sun/Oracle have been handling the development of Java, and Harmony
clearly has something to contribute here.  I have an inkling that such a
"modularised" Java would be popular in enterprise computing - but as you
know my personal interest is in the embedded kind.  In the past Harmony
(or at least Geir) was reluctant to open up a "second front" on the
embedded side, but now there seems to be nothing to be gained by such
restraint ...

I'd like to make an analogy with Darwin.  (Yes, I'm a closet FreeBSD guy.)
 Darwin is basically the FreeBSD userland that Apple distributes as part
of OS X, without the apple-specific GUI.  (Apple also use a different OS
kernel.)  So for FreeBSD substitute Harmony, and for Apple substitute
another commercially successful company (which uses a different VM), and
what do we have?  I think we have a very interesting modular approach to
Java for mobile and embedded.

> [1] e.g. http://s.apache.org/xI

BTW this link seems to be broken.

Best regards