harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: questions about Non-bug differences from RI category
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:12:09 GMT
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:

> A quick look at the harmony code, and it seems we are explicitly
> throwing IIOBE's from our code, e.g.
>
>  if (index < 0 || index >= len) {
>      throw new IndexOutOfBoundsException();
>  }
>
> In this case I see no reason why we wouldn't match the RI behavior, even
> though it is not required by the spec.

OK , I can open a jira issue for this one.

> Yes, again I think this beyond the spec.  As you say, Harmony defers to
> the ICU project to provide the i18n functionality.  If you consider the
> collation or break iterators to be producing a result that is 'wrong'
> we'd raise it with ICU and get their opinion.

Yes, in both cases Lucene supports "jdk or icu" impl for collation and break
iteration, so we have encountered these differences before.
I can't comment on the collation difference (except we already
conditionalized our test case for ICU here)
For the break iterator difference, a user from Laos commented that when he
uses the ICU implementation with Thai, he gets better results... so maybe
ICU simply improved the thai dictionary?

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com